Rodgers Memorial Library
The Hills Memorial Library, with its rubble stone walls and clay tile roof, has been a landmark in Hudson since 1909. The town has long since outgrown the library, however, and it was decided to build a new facility in a complex of schools north of the town center. A generous family donation, echoing the donation the created the original library, is funding the new Rodgers Memorial Library.
The new Rodgers Memorial Library is a single story building of 13,350 square feet. It allows substantial expansion of collections and services from the existing facility, with an efficient layout that is designed for supervision with minimal staffing. The plan features a generous entrance, flanked by the main meeting room and the Children’s Room. Immediately beyond is the Circulation desk, with Reference, Young Adults, and General Collections beyond. Seating is grouped along the sunny southeast and southwest facades. The Children’s Room dramatically expands children’s services and includes a separate Program Room.
The library has been designed for future expansion. An extensive area to the north of the proposed building is reserved for 18,000 square feet of additional space to meet the town’s twenty year needs; the location will allow construction with minimal disruption of library service.
The materials for the Rodgers Library recall the original building- rough cut stone and wood, with shingles as a second exterior finish. The roof is asphalt shingle with a tone similar to the original library’s clay tile. Broad areas of window bring daylight into patron seating and work areas, creating a welcoming environment for library patrons and staff.