Medfield Public Library
The original Medfield Public Library was designed by William Perry in 1914. The expansion accommodates the needs of a growing suburban town into the 21st century and help to create a symbolic center for the town. A new 14,000 sf addition is planned around a new entrance to the library on a newly created town common. The axis through the addition takes patrons past the circulation desk to a link between the old and new buildings. This is the physical and electronic access to all parts of the library, containing the main PAC terminals and the stair connecting to the Children’s room on the second floor and basement stacks. The original building beyond is renovated for reference and quiet reading areas. On the second floor, a vaulted ceiling with red arches defines a sunlit Children’s room
The exterior is designed in a red brick vernacular Georgian style to harmonize with the original building. It faces and helps to define a new Town Common, together with the recently restored Town House across Main Street. Together, this group of public buildings and spaces create a municipal center that reinforces the historic downtown of Medfield.
(Richard Smith was Project Architect at Stahl Associates)