Harvard Faculty Club
The original Faculty Club of 1930 was designed by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge. It was a Georgian revival building based on 18th century English prototypes. In 1966 and 1989, renovations were made to the public areas. Since then, the club management has refined the facility and its uses, redecorating and expanding cuisine and service. The kitchen facilities, however, were increasingly inadequate for the new, more ambitious menu.
The first priority of this new building program was the redesign and expansion of the basement kitchen and service areas. A new service elevator enhances service to the upper floors. On the south side, the expanded basement is covered by a new terrace and plantings for outdoor dining, and on the north a new conservatory houses a bar and cafe menu dining to expand the club’s offerings. In addition, HVAC systems and ADA improvements were added to a complex construction process requiring minimal closure of the facility.
(Richard Smith was Project Architect for Burt Hill Kosar Rittelmann Associates)