Falmouth Public Library
The Falmouth Public Library project expands a historic town library, improving its functional organization and spaces, and restores its place as a central element in the historic landscape of downtown Falmouth.
The original Falmouth Public Library was built on the Town Common in 1912. With the growth of the town, additions were built in 1965 and 1979. Both followed the materials and detail of the original building, but the planning had become cluttered and disorientating, and relocation of the main entrance to the rear street had severed the library’s connection to the Town Common. With the continuing population increase on the Cape and the consequent demand for library services, additional program area and comprehensive replanning were needed.
The final design added a wing to the west, balancing the earlier wing, and glazed reading bays on both wings connect the library to the Common. The exterior materials use the palette of the existing building, with new glazed bays opening the library to the town.
The original entrance was reopened and made accessible, and the rear entrance was moved to the center of the old building, restoring the centrality of the original rotunda. The interior was comprehensively replanned, and a clear and logical organization helps patrons and staff make effective use of the building. Interior functions were reorganized around the new entrances, with Reference in the new wing and general reading and collections in the 1979 wing on the main level. The Children’s Room on the ground floor of the 1979 wing was greatly expanded and replanned, and a suite of meeting rooms occupies the ground floor of the new wing.
(In association with Beacon Architectural Associates, executive architect)